Organization’s new initiative aims to fill shelves and hearts in Kawartha Lakes
Kawartha Lakes Food Source hopes to capitalize on Valentine’s themes of love and kindness to better serve the needs of the community.
After experiencing one of the lowest years for donations and now facing a time need far exceeding support, the agency has developed a series of exciting events throughout the month of February.
“We want to bring awareness to food insecurity and give the community more opportunities to donate during one of the months we feed the most people and receive the fewest donations,” said digital content creator Laura Butler.
The Food Source has also involved other local businesses and organizations in the initiative in the hope of encouraging the community to support them as well.
“We hope the following events will inspire you to spend time with family, friends and loved ones; show yourself some love and celebrate Love Month with Kawartha Lakes Food Source,” Butler continued.
Upcoming events include:
• Kindness Bingo — Contestants have from February 1 to 25 to complete the tasks in each box until they fill a straight or diagonal line on the card. Tasks include a variety of free activities, donating to local charities, shopping at local businesses and participating in the rest of the events associated with Love Month. Tickets are available at the Food Source distribution center as well as: Unwrapped Kawartha, Kawartha Art Gallery, Burns Bulk Food, North Ward Coffee Co., Kawartha Conservation administrative center, Lindsay public library, BGC Kawarthas, Hill’s Florist and The Kent Florist.
• Ken Reid Conservation Area Love Bright Trail – The public is invited to visit the trail daily between 5pm and 9pm, until February 28. Parking is $4 per vehicle and $1 of the fee will be donated to the Food Source. Monetary donations can be made by scanning the QR code at the trail entrance. Food donations are accepted during their business hours in the administrative center.
• Yoga at Unwrapped — Bring a mat and enjoy a Vinyasa Flow yoga class February 8, from 7:00 pm to 8:15 pm All levels are welcome to join. Food and monetary donations will be collected on arrival as an entry fee.
• Valentine’s Day Paint Night — Get creative with a professional artist at the Food Source’s distribution center on February 14, from 7 to 9 p.m. Tickets are $55 and include all materials, food and drinks, and can be purchased online or in person will be at 164 Needham Street, Lindsay.
• Love Month Food Drive — The community is invited to stop by the distribution center on February 25 between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. to pick up much-needed non-perishable and perishable foods such as peanut butter, coffee, spices, fresh vegetables, eggs and milk, as well as personal care or household items. Kindness Bingo participants also have a chance to win two tickets to Take a Bite Out of Hunger, a gala dinner at Hobart’s steakhouse taking place in April 2023, featuring a curated menu for the event and selection of local beers.
For more information, visit kawarthalakesfoodsource.com or contact Butler at 705-324-0707 or [email protected]