What happened to John Devine? Football League (FPL) Defender and Former Head Coach Fatality Explained

What happened to John Devine? Football League (FPL) Defender and Former Head Coach Fatality Explained

Former coach John Devine has died, and the Geelong Football Club is in mourning. More information about John Devine’s death is needed.

Where did John Devine go?

John Devine, a former coach and defending premiership for Geelong, died on Sunday at the age of 82, and the city is in mourning.

Legendary in Tasmanian football, “JD” played over 100 games for Geelong before going on to a successful coaching and playing career with North Hobart.

Devine captained North Hobart’s team of the century and led the Demons to three consecutive premierships (in 1967, 1969 and 1974). He also won seven Tasmanian caps as a player, captain or coach.

The entire football community in Tasmania and our sympathies are with John’s loved ones.

Source: Chronicle

Reason for death

John Devine, a legend in both Geelong and Tasmanian football, passed away recently after a courageous battle with illness.

John Devine is believed to have died of complications from Parkinson’s disease and dementia. Family and friends have flooded social media with messages of condolence since the news broke. This is devastating news for his family and friends.

Who Was John Devine Anyway?

John Devine first played at the top level in the VFL for Geelong in 1960. He grew up in the western Victorian town of Colac. John Devine, the defender, was fiercely tough and ran at a slanting pace. On and off the field, he gave Geelong his all, and that earned him many fans. His relentless approach to the game and his opponents made him a formidable opponent.

Devine was a key member of the Geelong squad that won the 1963 AFL Championship by defeating Hawthorn. From 1962 to 1966, when the Cats regularly reached the AFL finals, he was a member of the Geelong team during its most successful period.

Devine was a ‘big game’ player for Geelong, and he was honored as one of the team’s best in six of the nine grand finals the Cats reached during his tenure.

Beginning of John’s professional life

In 1969 and 1974 Devine led his team to two more TFL titles after beating Latrobe (led and coached by Darrel Baldock in the NWFU) and Launceston (NTFA). In 1969 he also achieved first place in Tasmania. (led by Bob Withers, their coach).
North Hobart, led by Devine, set a new record with a 20-goal win against Launceston at York Park in the state premiership. In 1967 Devine made the move from Geelong to Tasmania, giving local football fans the chance to see him play in a number of exciting matches.

The Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame officially recognizes both the 1967 state championship game and the 1970 Tasmanian representative game.

After retiring from playing and coaching. John Devine established himself in Tasmanian industry and politics. The North Hobart Football Club and Football Tasmania both honored him for his service to the sport.

Also read: Holly Newton’s family pay tribute to the “brilliant dancer” she was as a “youth, 16, will appear in court charged with murder.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *